Wednesday, October 12, 2016

MAHB passenger traffic up 4.5 per cent in first nine months

Datuk Badlisham Ghazali
LABUAN: Passenger traffic at Malaysia's airports rose 4.5 per cent in the first nine months of this year compared to the same period in 2015, with Kota Kinabalu International Airport (KKIA) also contributed to the increase.

Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) managing director, Datuk Badlisham Ghazali, said the increase surpassed the traffic volume target of 2.5 per cent, with airlines such as Malaysia Airlines (MAS) and Malindo Air adding new services, coupled with the consolidation of Terminal 2 in Tanjung Aru, Kota Kinabalu this year into a single terminal at KKIA.

The number of passengers using MAHB's second busiest airport had soared to more than six million, he said.

"For the first nine months of 2016, passenger traffic has tremendously improved...Sabah can be proud of the growth in passenger traffic passing through KKIA. We saw a very big jump in passenger traffic with impressive international arrivals into this fastest growing airport," he said after a Townhall session with Labuan Airport personnel here Monday.

"Air travel is no longer a luxury but an option and convenience for people at large. We see a slight increase in both international and domestic traffic.

"However, MAHB is still weathering the changes that are happening at MAS after its difficulties in 2015. Hopefully, this will be the end after the restructuring and route rationalisation exercise.

"MAS is trying to churn its aircraft operation from ten hours to almost 12 hours a day. This means the national carrier could use its aircraft more efficiently and there will be more frequencies, hence, more passengers to the airport. Other carriers like Malindo Air is also growing significantly," Badlisham said.

He said the continuous efforts by tourism agencies and MAHB's marketing efforts to bring back other carriers and more frequencies had attributed to the increased volume in passenger handling.

"Carriers like Turkish Airlines and Emirates Airlines have increased their frequencies and aircraft size while others have come back into Malaysia," he said.

He said the Zika virus outbreak had not given any impact to the passenger traffic across the region.

On the Labuan's tourism plan to bring in direct charter flights from China, he said Labuan Airport was capable of handling large aircraft including Airbus A330 family.

"We welcome any initiatives (charter flight). We have been in discussions with both Labuan and the Ministry of Federal Territories leaders to increase direct flights and charter flights into the island.

"The immigration personnel at Labuan Airport are ready to accept international passengers and we are also prepared to look at the operation hour for more flights at the airport.

"I was informed there was an announcement by the Labuan Member of Parliament that a carrier was given an air operator certificate to operate charter flight from China to Labuan," he said.

"But, we may look at a slightly smaller aircraft for a start. For example, we have a special charter flight from China to Malacca on a smaller A319 aircraft. As for the charter flight to Labuan, we may start with the Boeing 737," he said.

Badlisham said the Labuan Airport runway was built under Code 4E that could accommodate Airbus A330.

Earlier, he presented MAHB's financial aid to a religious school, Tahfiz Quran Al Ummi, as part of its corporate social responsibility.

Source: Bernama | 11 Oct. 2016

MAHB September passenger traffic up 12.3 per cent

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) registered its first double-digit growth for Malaysia airports passenger movements this year following an increase of 12.3 per cent in September to 7.47 million passenger movements from 6.65 million in the same period last year.

In a filing to Bursa Malaysia today, MAHB said, almost all of its airports recorded positive growth with ten airports registering a double-digit growth of between 11 per cent and 26 per cent.

"The KLIA Main Terminal continues to record double-digit growth of 35.3 per cent in passengers over September 2015, while Kota Kinabalu International Airport registered the highest growth for international passenger traffic at 46 per cent over September 2015," it said.

It said the record double-digit growth of KLIA Main Terminal was partly attributable to improvements in Malaysia Airlines' (MAS) domestic traffic, other new airlines' international traffic contribution and Malindo Air's movements after the transfer to the terminal since March 15 this year.

Overall, it said, MAHB's system of airports, including Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen International Airport (SGIA), recorded 10.2 million passengers in September, an 8.6 per cent growth over September last year.

On year-to-date basis, MAHB said, its total system of airports handled 87.7 million passengers up to September, registering a 4.8 per cent growth over the same corresponding period last year.

It said domestic movements increased by 4.4 per cent while international movements increased by 5.3 per cent.

MAHB said that Malaysian airports registered 4.4 per cent growth in passenger movements while SGIA registered 5.9 per cent.

Going forward, it said, 2016 passenger movements were expected to grow over the 2.5 per cent earlier forecast.

It said this was on the back of 6.2 per cent global passenger growth forecast and 8.5 per cent Asia-Pacific passenger growth forecast this year by the International Air Transport Association as well as improvements in local airlines' passenger traffic.

"Malindo Air and AirAsia Group registered positive growth while Malaysia Airlines had a positive turn around for domestic sector from July 2016," it said.

MAHB said MAS registered its first positive for international traffic in September with a 6.3 per cent increase.

Source: Bernama | 10 Oct. 2016

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Malaysia Airlines teams up with Liverpool FC

Malaysia Airlines CEO Peter Bellew (man on the left) receives the Liverpool jersey from Liverpool’s commercial director Olly Dale to mark the official partnership.
KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia Airlines (MAS) has struck a deal with Liverpool FC to be its official global airline partner.

MAS managing director Peter Bellew said on Tuesday that he hopes to sell more seats as a result of partnership.

Under the partnership, MAS will get numerous benefits including LED and static board brand exposure at each home game at Anfield and exposure on the Liverpool FC website, publications and Facebook page.

MAS will also have co-branding opportunities in merchandising rights and customer engagement such as pitch side access with players and legends.

The partnership will enable MAS to have access to players to be featured as ambassadors and in all related communication materials.
Source: The Star Online | Business | 11 Oct. 2016

Monday, October 10, 2016

Status of Malacca Airport to be known by year-end - Liow

MALACCA: The government will decide whether to upgrade the Malacca Airport (LTM) or to build a new airport by year-end.

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai said his ministry was waiting for a full report from its consultant appointed to carry out the study and a decision would only be made after receiving the report.

He said the report encompassed the aspects of land acquisition cost for the surrounding areas to lengthen the existing runway to enable various aircraft to land at LTM located at Batu Berendam, here.

"A detailed study on the cost of upgrading LTM including extending the runway by 600 metres by acquiring land around Batu Berendam which is higher compared to building a new airport," he told reporters here Saturday night.

Earlier, he opened the Malacca MCA convention here which was also attended by Malacca MCA chairman cum State Exco for Transportation, Project Rehabilitation and International Trade Datuk Lim Ban Hong.

Source: Bernama | 09 Oct. 2016

Sunday, October 9, 2016

Federal Government spends RM2.7 billion on Kelantan infrastructure since 2015

KOTA BHARU: The Federal Government has spent RM2.705 billion to develop various infrastructure in Kelantan since 2015, says Kelantan Federal Action Council chairman Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed.

Mustapha, who is also International Trade and Industry Minister, said RM1.1 billion was allocated to repair various infrastructure such as hospitals, police stations, bridges and railway tracks damaged in the big flood of 2014.

"This (RM1.1 billion) is not in the budget but was under contingency projects which many may not be aware," he told reporters after chairing the council's meeting at the Kelantan Federal Development Department (JPP) here today.

Also present were Rural and Regional Development Deputy Minister Datuk Ahmad Jazlan Yaakub, Deputy Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Senator Datuk Dr Asyraf Wajdi Dusuki and Kelantan JPP director Datuk Makhtar Mustapha.

Mustapha addded that the remaining RM1.605 billion were used for five state projects such as the RM430 million upgrading of Sultan Ismail Petra Airport in Pengkalan Chepa into an international airport.

The expansion programme involved extending the runway by another 100 metres to 2.5 kilometres, a multi-level car park and the expansion of the airport surau.

"The project which will begin in the first quarter of next year, is expected to increase the airport capacity to handle four million passengers compared to 1.5 million at present," he said.

Mustapha said the other items included the flood mitigation project along 10 kilometres of the Sungai Kelantan basin at a cost of RM550 million.

He said another project was the construction a federal department office complex costing RM530 million at an 11-hectare site in Bandar Baharu Tunjong here, starting next year and was expected to be completed by 2020.

"We have also allocated RM55 million for a main road expansion project as well as a heritage project in Kampung Laut, Tumpat costing RM40 million.

"The Heritage project will benefit Kelantan and could become a new tourism destination in the state, besides promoting small and medium industries (SMI) in the village," he said.

He said the implementation of these projects in Kelantan showed the federal government had been attending to the needs of the state seriously and did not marginalise it as claimed by certain irresponsible parties.

Source: Bernama | 09 Oct 2016

RM2.7 bilion bina pelbagai infrastruktur di Kelantan sejak 2015

Menteri Perdagangan Antarabangsa dan Industri, Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed (tengah) mengadakan sidang media selepas mempengerusikan mesyuarat Majlis Tindakan Persekutuan Negeri Kelantan di Jabatan Perbangunan Persekutuan (JPP) pada Ahad. Turut hadir Timbalan Menteri di Jabatan Perdana Menteri, Senator Datuk Dr Asyraf Wajdi Dusuki (kanan) dan Timbalan Menteri Kemajuan Luar Bandar dan Wilayah Datuk Ahmad Jazlan Yaakub (kiri).
KOTA BHARU: Kerajaan Persekutuan membelanjakan RM2.705 bilion untuk membangunkan pelbagai infrastuktur di Kelantan sejak 2015, kata Pengerusi Majlis Tindakan Persekutuan (MTP) Kelantan Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed.

Mustapa yang juga Menteri Perdagangan Antarabangsa dan Industri berkata RM1.1 bilion diperuntukkan bagi membaiki pelbagai infrastruktur seperti hospital, balai polis, jambatan dan keretapi yang rosak dalam banjir besar yang melanda negeri ini pada 2014.

"Ini (jumlah RM1.1 bilion) bukan dalam belanjawan, tapi merupakan projek-projek di luar jangka yang ramai orang tak tahu," katanya kepada pemberita selepas mempengerusikan mesyuarat berkenaan di Jabatan Pembangunan Persekutuan (JPP) Kelantan di sini, hari ini.

Hadir sama Timbalan Menteri Kemajuan Luar Bandar dan Wilayah (KKLW) Datuk Ahmad Jazlan Yaakub, Timbalan Menteri di Jabatan Perdana Menteri Senator Datuk Dr Asyraf Wajdi Dusuki dan Pengarah JPP Kelantan Datuk Makhtar Mustapha.

Mengulas lanjut, Mustapa berkata baki RM1.605 bilion juta pula digunakan untuk lima projek di negeri ini, merangkumi pembesaran Lapangan Terbang Sultan Ismail Petra (LTSIP) di Pengkalan Chepa sebanyak RM430 juta yang akan dinaik taraf kepada lapangan terbang antarabangsa.

"Ia melibatkan pemanjangan landasan kepada 2.5 km berbanding 2.4km sebelum ini, parkir bertingkat untuk kenderaan dan pembesaran surau di lapangan terbang tersebut.

"Projek tersebut akan dimulakan pada suku pertama tahun depan dan dijangka mampu menampung empat juta penumpang berbanding 1.5 juta penumpang ketika ini," kata Mustapa.

Beliau berkata berkata antara lain projek termasuklah projek tebatan banjir sepanjang 10 kilometer di lembangan Sungai Kelantan dengan kos RM550 juta.

Beliau berkata selain itu pembinaan bangunan gunasama bernilai RM530 juta di Bandar Baharu Tunjong di sini, yang akan dimulakan pembinaan pada tahun depan dan dijangka siap pada 2020 di tanah seluas 11 hektar bagi menempatkan penjawat awam.

"Kita juga memperuntukkan sebanyak RM55 juta bagi projek pembesaran jalan raya serta Projek Warisan di Kampung Laut, Tumpat yang menelan belanja sebanyak RM40 juta.

"Projek Warisan ini akan memberi manfaat kepada Kelantan dan bakal menjadi sebuah produk pelancongan baharu di negeri ini, selain bertujuan untuk membangunkan industri perusahaan kecil dan sederhana (PKS) di kampung tersebut," katanya.

Katanya dengan pelbagai projek yang dilaksanakan di Kelantan jelas menunjukkan kerajaan Persekutuan tidak menganaktirikan negeri ini sebagaimana yang didakwa oleh sesetengah pihak yang tidak bertanggungjawab.

Sumber: Bernama | 09 Okt. 2016

Saturday, October 1, 2016

Advisory: MAVCOM urges Rayani Air’s customers to seek chargeback before 13 October 2016

KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian Aviation Commission (“MAVCOM” or “Commission”) would like to urge affected Rayani Air customers who have not initiated their chargeback request to do so with their respective credit/debit card issuing banks before 13 October 2016.

On 26 August 2016, the Commission had advised Rayani Air’s customers who have purchased tickets using credit or debit cards but were not able to fly following Rayani Air’s cessation of operations, to initiate a chargeback request with their respective credit/debit card issuing banks in order to potentially recover their monies.

MAVCOM had engaged with Bank Negara Malaysia and other relevant parties to identify avenues to recover the losses for Rayani Air consumers and understands that some of the affected customers have successfully managed to get their chargebacks.

The chargeback process is between the affected customers and the banks directly and all enquiries are to be made directly to their credit/debit card issuing banks under the category of “services not received” or a similar category. Customers may also be required to submit the necessary documents to the banks to facilitate the chargeback process. The credit/debit card issuing banks may take between 90 to 120 days to process the chargeback.

This advisory serves as a follow up of the Commission’s earlier advice and a notification to affected Rayani Air customers to engage with their respective credit/debit card issuing banks by 13 October 2016. However, if customers face difficulties with their respective issuing banks, they may contact the Commission at or +603 2772 0677 from Monday to Friday, 9am till 5pm (excluding weekends and public holidays).

Source: MAVCOM | | 28 Sept. 2016